This is a pre-announcement of the third joint transnational research call that will be co-funded by the following ERANETMED partners: ANR (France), ASRT (Egypt), BMBF (Germany), CIHEAM Bari (Int. Org.), CNRS-L (Lebanon), DGRSDT (Algeria), HCST (Jordan), MESRSFC (Morocco), MESRST (Tunisia), MIUR (Italy), MINECO (Spain), RPF (Cyprus), STDF (Egypt), TUBITAK (Turkey). It aims at informing research teams about the imminent publication of the joint transnational research call in May 2017.
The MED-SPRING project participated in the "Seeds&Chips Global Food Innovation Summit", held from 8 to 11 May 2017 in Milano, Italy. This is one of the top food innovation events worldwide. It was dedicated to showcasing national and international talent and cutting-edge solutions from around the world.
Integrating Arab e-infrastructure in a Global Environment, e-AGE, is an annual international conference organized by the Arab States Research and Education Network, ASREN. Since the launch of ASREN in December 2010 at the League of Arab States, it was decided to organize e-AGE every year in an Arab country. e-AGE is in line with ASREN’s major objectives that are related to dissemination and awareness, promotion of research collaboration and joint activities, and establishment of research networks in the Arab region and worldwide.
Water for food and agriculture is an important topic on the agenda. COST supports more than 20 Actions in this area and European stakeholders intensively discuss the issue with a strong focus on the Mediterranean area. COST aims to provide networking opportunities to structure this important field, to link the active researchers with policy stakeholders and thus connect the dots in the European Research Area.
Read more: http://www.cost.eu/events/cost-connect-water .
The conference aims to gather new research contributions from all disciplines of environmental sciences by many Euro-Mediterranean scientists from diverse backgrounds, in particular from the geo- and bio-environmental sciences and engineering, and thus make an essential contribution towards ensuring that science and knowledge can contribute to promoting a more sustainable environment for the Euro-Mediterranean region.
Read more: http://www.emcei.net/ .
Among northern-African countries, Tunisia has been a forerunner in terms of environmental awareness. During the Ben Ali era, it has been the first Arab state to set up a ministry for the environment (in 1991); after the 2010 revolution, the National Constituent Assembly inserted a reference to the commitment against climate change in the new 2014 Constitution.
Since the beginning of the 2011 revolution and the deposition of President Mubarak, Egypt has entered a new phase of political and social unrest. In 2014 Marshal Abdel Fattah el-Sisi won the general elections by an overwhelming majority yet without experiencing an internal social pacification. In this context Egypt participated in the 2015 COP21 and committed itself to both mitigation and adaptation efforts. To date, however, the country has not ratified the Paris Agreement.
A rentier state with a national GDP almost entirely dependent on hydrocarbons revenues, Algeria is a strategic geopolitical actor for the Mediterranean and Northern African area, and also a likely green energy exports leader in the near future, if policy pledges are to be fulfilled. The country’s economy mostly relies on revenues on the exports of oil and gas. In 2012 Algeria was considered the third largest oil producer in Africa after Nigeria and Libya, and the sixth largest natural gas producer in the world.
Morocco is hosting the second UNFCCC climate talks in the country’s history. With the Paris agreement already into force before the Marrakech conference, the Moroccan government has the opportunity to lead a COP focused on means and strategies to actually implement the agreement, rather than on the ratification process. Morocco is a strategic actor of the MENA and South-Mediterranean region, despite its status of of lower middle-income economy with a per-capita GDP among the lowest in North Africa.
In collaboration with the EU Maltese presidency, the MEP Water Group convened a successful public session on "Water Reuse - an effective tool to address water scarcity" on the 7th of March at the European Parliament. The session was chaired by Esther de Lange, President of the MEP Water Group and hosted five high-level panellists, who presented their own perspectives on why water-reuse is a valuable solution to address water scarcity, adaptation to climate change and implement circular economy.
Union for the Mediterranean - UfM
EIB latest publications
- EIB Working Papers 2017/02 - Credit Guarantee Schemes for SME lending in Western Europe
- Access-to-Finance Conditions for Investments in Bio-Based Industries and the Blue Economy
- Office of the Chief Compliance Officer Activity Report 2016
- EIB Group Support for the Social Sector
- The EIB in the circular economy
CIHEAM press reviews
- La France exporte un pesticide interdit vers les pays en développement
- L'économie bleue en débat à Marseille
- Fish farms moved offshore
- Ciheam new publication | Options Méditerranéennes " Xylella fastidiosa & the Olive Quick Decline Syndrome (OQDS). A serious worldwide challenge for the safeguard of olive trees"
- Occitanie : les aides réduites à l'agriculture bio sèment la colère dans les exploitations
European Institute of the Mediterranean - IEMED - Spain
- Around 100 think thanks to analyse how to combat violent extremism in the Mediterranean
- 11/05: EU and Tunisia hold their 13th Association Council, discuss ways to further their cooperation
- Salafism in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Dublin IV and the European asylum system: more control and more returns
- Seminar on the future of Tunisia
Consulat Général de France à Jérusalem
- Premier tour des élections législatives 2017
- Elections législatives 2017 - horaires d'ouverture des bureaux de vote
- La France rejoint le consortium humanitaire intervenant en zone C (1 juin 2017)
- Grève de la faim des détenus palestiniens - déclaration du Porte-parole (26 mai 2017)
- Jean-Yves Le Drian, ministre de l'Europe et des Affaires étrangères
Network of marine protected area managers in the Mediterranean - MedPAN
- Testez un package écotouristique en Méditerranée
- Les AMP se réunissent autour du projet FishMPABlue2
- Candidatez pour le collaborative leadership learning forum des AMP!
- RESERVEBENEFIT : un nouveau projet pour étudier le bénéfice des réserves marines
- Projet DestiMED: Appel à manifestation d'intérêt pour la mise en oeuvre d'Actions Pilotes en écotourisme dans les AMP grecques
The European Water Platform news
- ‘Industry Water: From Single Use to Integrated Management’ Workshop
- First edition of Water Market Europe event marked by success!
- Horizon 2020 to be topped up with €200 million
- Commission to invest almost €104 million in 71 innovative companies under Horizon 2020 SME Instrument
- MEP Water Group Public Session: Water Reuse – an effective tool to address water scarcity’
EIB latest news
Canal Investigación MINECO - Spain
- El secretario general de Ciencia e Innovación presenta los instrumentos para financiar actividades de innovación en las universidades
- El Consejo Marino Europeo nombra vicepresidente a un investigador del IEO
- España y Portugal firman un acuerdo para intensificar la cooperación científica
- El Buque de Investigación Oceanográfica “Hespérides” regresa a Cartagena tras finalizar la XXX Campaña Antártica
- La Comisión Europea refrenda la infraestructura científica sobre biodiversidad y gestión de ecosistemas LifeWatch en Sevilla
Enseignement Superieur et Recherche - Europe et international - France
UN Food and Agriculture Organization - FAO Newsroom
- Japan is a global model for healthy diets, FAO Director-General says
- FAO and World Bank step up partnership to end hunger and poverty
- Addressing migration requires investments in sustainable rural development
- The Garden Toothbrush
- FAO Food Price Index dips again in April, led by sugar and vegetable oils